When the weather’s not nice enough to spend the day outdoors or you’re just looking to satisfy your craving for some great art: Take a tour in Wilmington, NC and environs. There are so many small and large galleries, you’ll run out of time before you run out of cool stuff to look at.
You may have your favorites among Wilmington’s art galleries, but we like to break up a tour like this by geographic area. That minimizes driving time and it just may get you into a gallery you haven’t tried yet. Who knows—you might stumble upon something special!
Downtown Wilmington Galleries Make a Walkable Tour
Fourth Friday Gallery Walks are fun, but many galleries are open when there isn’t a crowd.
- At Crescent Moon you’ll find creative work from dozens of local craft artists.
- In the Cotton Exchange is the Golden Gallery, with original paintings and prints of beaches and birds of the Wilmington area.
- And this is also the location of Port City Pottery & Fine Crafts, home to quality craft work from the hands of local potters and artists.
- A little wandering through the Cotton Exchange will bring you to T.S. Brown Jewelry, where you can find something unusual made by Wilmington artists.
- One of the newest additions is Art in Bloom Gallery, located in a renovated horse stable originally built in 1910. Both indoor and outdoor exhibition space for nationally and internationally recognized artists. It is located at 210 Princess Street in downtown Wilmington.
- In Old Wilmington City Market, which was established in 1880 as a meat and produce market and was considered one of the South’s most beautiful shopping malls, you’ll find The Bryand Gallery.
- Just a step out of downtown on Willard Street is The ArtWorks. The combination gallery/studio space also offers art classes.
- A little farther out, but not to be missed, is Cameron Art Museum, with national an international exhibits, frequent classes and performances, and a trendy café.
Wrightsville Beach Area Includes Special Art Galleries
- Not quite to the beach but nearby on Racine is Blue Moon Gift Shops, a collection of booths by area artists and artisans. Here you’ll find paintings, wearable art, pottery, jewelry, and handmade edible items.
- Just before you enter Blue Moon is Eclipse, a fine art and crafts gallery with work from local and regional fine artists.
- See changing exhibits, glass work, and paintings at The Gallery of Fine Art in Mayfaire.
- You’ll find handmade jewelry and unusual gift items at Lumina Station.
Drive Up to Topsail for a Different Take on Art
- The big red barn marks ArtExposure!, a landmark on U.S. 17 in Hampstead. There’s a large collection from various artists here.
- Check out Bumblebee Market on Topsail Island, a boutique market with gifts, jewelry, and fun crafts.
If you bring something nice home from your art tour, you might want to have it framed at D.Baxter’s. What could be better than a day feasting your eyes on some of Wilmington’s most beautiful pictures?