Area schools will be closed April 10-14, 2017. Ah, spring break: It’s that week that children dream of. Their parents, maybe not so much…until now!
If you’re wondering how to keep the kids entertained during the week of spring break, we have some ideas for you! Try these attractions and activities to keep the kids busy during spring break:
Take Your Kids Outdoors During Spring Break
- Airlie Gardens: Walk or run through 67 acres of paths, a lake, and gardens with spring blooms. Airlie’s a local treasure and a great place for a picnic during spring break.
- Battleship North Carolina: The battleship is a great place for kids any day, but on April 14, 2017 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., join in the Easter Egg Hunt Carnival! Egg hunts are continuous throughout the day, and kids will love the pony rides, bounce houses, eggs, candy, and games. Meet Buddy the Battleship Easter Bunny, too.
- Cape Fear Riverboats: Step out of the ordinary and onto a Cape Fear Riverboat for a sightseeing cruise. Kids will learn about area history (including the movie industry) as well as local wildlife and fish.
- Tregembo Animal Park: Kids love animals, and Tregembo Animal Park, Wilmington’s zoo, has more than 130 species of animals. Fresh air and cool critters make a great spring break activity.
- Poplar Grove Plantation: Tour the Manor and grounds of of the oldest existing peanut plantation in North Carolina.
Keep Kids Moving for an Active Spring Break
- Jungle Rapids: Even before the summer water park, Jungle Rapids is ready to wear kids out this spring break. Try a game of laser tag, some go carts, climb a rock wall, or play jungle golf or mini bowling—and take the kids home tired.
Hot Plans: Visit a Cool Museum on Spring Break
- Cape Fear Serpentarium: One of Wilmington’s beloved attractions is our snake museum, fascinating for kids and grownups alike. It’s both educational and thrilling!
- Museum of the Bizarre: Older kids especially will appreciate the oddities at this museum. See interactive exhibits including Alexander Hamilton’s hair, the Fort Fisher mermaid, and the Crystal Skull of Knowledge.
- North Carolina Aquariums: Spring break is a perfect time to visit the fish at the aquarium before the summer crowds hit. Visit Luna the albino alligator and all the amazing fish that swim in our local waters.
- Visit Bellamy Mansion and theBurgwin-Wright House & Gardens/a>: A real-life history lesson for the kids! You can take them back in time with a visit to some of Wilmington’s historic home museums.
With a little planning, your kids will be busy, happy, and tired this spring break!